Saturday, October 25, 2008

That's All

The title for my one month summary in August was "1 Down 5 to Go." The one for October was "The 1/3 Mark." So, since I planned on staying a total of 6 months here, naturally, the name of October's entry should be "Half Way There" or something corny like that. But, there's been a slight change of plans... Me? Change of plans? Never!

Actually, October's entry will be my last one from Russia's capital. Remember the problem I was having with the visa? Well, it turned out to be bigger than I anticipated… Actually, a lot bigger! The process would have entailed me flying home, driving to Houston (2 hours away from my home) back and forth a few times a week for about a month and having to buy a new visa (which I guarantee you ain't cheap). On top of that, I'd be missing several weeks of work- and several weeks of work is several weeks of no pay. This is utterly impossible. In all, I'd be losing, literally, thousands of dollars. Not cool in the slightest.

My visa expires November 1st, meaning I can't stay here. I've heard horror stories about foreigners over staying their visa. The Russian government is one entity you don't want to mess around with. Laws here are not in any way shape of form meant to be broken (unlike some other countries that I have visited). OK, so, if I can't stay here, then the next logical conclusion is to go home, right? Well, that's what I thought at first too, but home isn't exactly the best place to be at the moment. Remember, I'm from Louisiana, a state in the USA. The same state that has been ravaged by 2 hurricanes last month and the same country that is on the verge of an economic meltdown. Home is not the most desirable place on the planet right now. Nevertheless, I still planned on going home despite all the crap going on. But, I guess the airlines are feeling the heat from the crisis as well, since I just found out (not getting into too much detail) that the flight I was going to take is now out of the question.

Now, I am faced with a dilemma. I can't stay here, and I can't get a flight home in time before my visa expires. Where can I go? If I head north I'll reach Finland, where I don't need a visa. But, from there, I'd be even more isolated than I would be here. I could perhaps go south, but that would put me right in the middle of Georgia and Chechnya (international conflict zones). Not the best place to be at the moment. I could run west and head to Europe. Europe is safe, fun and pleasant; definitely a great place to be. Nonetheless, the Euro would bankrupt me faster than Lehman Brothers! East also seems like an option, but Kazakhstan, China and North Korea all require visas, meaning I can’t enter. As you can see, I have options, but none are ideal. But, I'm under the gun, I have to make a decision and make it fast. I don't have time to just sit around blogs all day! So, now, I must be a true nomad, pack up my things and go, head wherever the wind takes me while trying to avoid international war, strict visa requirements, wallet breaking cities and extreme isolation. Wait a minute! That's it! Nomand! I think I have an idea… This just might work!

Now you know Moscow. You've seen the famous landmarks, you've learned about the people and culture, you've tried the food, you've walked down the cramped, cold allies, you've relaxed in the gorgeous parks, you've sampled various vodkas, you've experienced remnants of the all-mighty USSR, you've gone to street festivals, you've lived in a bloc apartment, you've partied all night at a typical Moscow club and you've even taken an overnight train to spend the weekend in Saint Petersburg. You have experienced Muscovite life, everything from the pains to the pleasures, for the last 3 months. Now you know what it's really like.

OK, I've got to go. I'll be out of contact for many days, but don't worry, the blog will continue. Nothing, and I mean nothing, will stop me from writing this story. Plus, I have a weird feeling that things are about to get real interesting. Stay tuned, you're not going to want to miss this!

1 Comments:

At October 27, 2008 at 2:00 PM , Blogger Kandiqkane said...

Good Luck Trey,
I hope you find a place. Even if I would like it to be back here at home. Becareful.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home