Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Where's the Shell?

Ok, this always happens. Just when I think I completely understand a new culture- BAM! Something happens and my opinion changes. This is why I decided to spend 6 months in Russia, anything less is just not enough time to truly learn about the people and local customs. In fact, I’d say that 6 months is hardly enough time, but hey, you’ve got to draw the line somewhere. Now, I know that you can see all the famous monuments, museums, restaurants, blah blah blah, in a mere few days, but the people, in my opinion, make the place… not vice versa. So, what happened?


Well, remember this whole “shell” I was talking about? You know, how Russians are “stoic and very serious all the time?” Well, either I need to reassess my conclusion or coincidently everyone in Moscow decided to leave their shells at home last weekend. Apparently, during the first weekend of September, the entire center of Moscow shuts down to host a massive 3 day long block party. The streets are blocked off to traffic for hundreds of thousands of pedestrians to roam freely and all the main plazas within the center are transformed into glamorous stages for famous singers and other artists. The city is decorated with Russian flags, banners and lights, and everyone (and I mean everyone) is in the party spirit.

I previously thought all Muscovites (regardless of age, sex and religion) were very stern in public and only opened up around close friends and family. On an average day, the business men walk around in their Gucci suits and frozen faces. The women conservatively stroll the boulevards with locked arms minding their own business. Immigrants (since, unfortunately, their have been a few accounts of discrimination) usually keep to themselves. But not last weekend…

Seriously, I thought I was in a different city, or the twilight zone, or Seinfeld’s bizzaro land; it was the antithesis of Moscow: Business men were walking around wearing wigs and other crazy outfits, women were dancing and shakin’ it in the middle of the road, and Russians and immigrants alike grabbed anything they could to produce exotic, rhythmic drum beats. I swear! If you don’t believe me, check out the video below.

So, the moral of the story: Maybe Russians do come off as very somber people at first. They take their jobs seriously and enjoy reading, classical music and the theater. Actually, I respect that about them. (In fact, I think many from my country should follow their example). However, they’re not too uptight. When they let lose, they let it all come out. Maybe they believe that there’s a time and place for everything. When you need to get a job done, do it and do it well. Likewise, when it’s time to party and celebrate, do it, and do it even better!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home