Tuesday, September 30, 2008

the 1/3 Mark

Well, I’ve just reached the 1/3 mark of my Moscow experience. So you know what that means- it’s time for the September summary. I’m sure you are jumping out of your chair right now, but please, try to contain yourself.

For those of you who regularly follow the blog, you saw that August (emotionally) was quite chaotic. Some days would be absolutely amazing, while others would be compared to living in hell. This was the cause of literally everything being new and culture shock. The good things that I liked were different, making me like them even more. While the negative aspects were, likewise, new; thus making me dislike them even more than I otherwise would. So, how is September, my second month here different since things, basically, just aren’t as fresh as they used to be?

This question answers itself. Everything is starting to become normal. These weird Cyrillic letters that I couldn’t pronounce or read are now pronounceable and legible. I’m at the point where some basic words and phrases are second nature; like bathroom signs, enter/exits indicators and Metro station stops. I know them without even thinking. The same is true with spoken language, I don’t even blink an eye when asking for directions or ordering a beer. It has become as normal as brushing your teeth in the morning.

Continuing, I understand the people a lot better. If they frown, or raise their voices, or push you in the metro, I do the same in return. Instead of being intimidated (like I was in August) I understand that this is just their culture, and the best way to deal with these kinds of situations is to do it right back. Doing this in my home country would be considered rude, but here, its normal- it’s just (for one reason of the other) how life is.

The list goes on: The co-ed bathrooms aren’t as awkward as they use to be, Vodka is smoother and is actually starting to taste good, and the weather (although getting colder and colder each day) is, for now, manageable. It’s a strange to feel you mind adapt and assimilate to its surrounding, I guess that’s why they call it the strongest muscle in your body. It realizes that I have to change my old habits and adapt to the new ones in which I’m currently experiencing. If not, life will become overly difficult and mental and physical health is threatened.

Actually, this is my favorite thing about not necessarily traveling, but living for an extended period of time in a certain place. You learn so much! Apart from the obvious factors (like the history and culture of a certain place) there’s so much more: I now know how to deal with strict, stern and ordered people, something that I’ve never had to deal with in the Americas. I know now how to put up with cold weather. I’m even wearing a scarf for the first time- can you believe that?!?! And, perhaps most importantly, I do it all on my own with no help from the outside, thus making every second of every day a challenge. In the end, you become a stronger person that is equipped to deal with any (and I mean any) situation.

At this moment in time, there have been a few surprised that popped up on me. Can you believe it? Surprises while traveling abroad… NEVER!!! This weekend, I lost my immigration card. For those of you who don’t know what this is, it’s this little small piece of paper that they give you upon entering the country. In my opinion, it’s meaningless. All it does is have the time and date of when you enter the damn country. However, it’s utterly important. One of my students told me the other day, “don’t lose the card; it’s the worst thing you could possible do!” Great, this makes me feel good. Of course, two days after she said that I lost it. A jinx? I think so. The next surprise has to deal with my visa. It expires at the end of October, meaning I have to leave the country back to the US to get a new one. The only problem is that no one ever told before coming that I’d have to do this. My impression was that I could just renew it here instead of having to buy a round trip ticket back home, drive back and forth to the Russian Consulate in Houston several times a week and drop $200 bucks on a new visa. This is just out of control.

So, as of now, I’m here with now immigration card and an expiring visa. But, I guess this is just one more challenge that I have to confront. It’s kind of fun… in a way. Some people get their kicks by skydiving or doing other extreme sports. Me? I love being faced with a major dilemma in a foreign country. I guess I subconsciously bring it upon myself (I guess this is the bad side of having the brain the most powerful muscle in the body). So, I’ve go to act, and I’ve got to act soon; or else my parachute won’t open. To be honest, a malfunctioned parachute is probably on par with dealing with the Russian government.

Ahhh, my crazy life- I absolutely love it!!! In the meantime, check out some of these photos from the month of September:
Palmeni (Russian dumplings topped with sour cream) and grain; definitley one of my favorite dishes here
The view from inside an Orthodox church. (ps- your not supose to take pictures, so don't tell anyone).
The World War II memorial. If you lost 20 million, you'd have a memorial too.
Your typical view of Moscow- Cool street lamps, a large gold-domed church, a Stalin building and spawling sky-scrapers in the far distance.
A memorial dedicated the the 1917 Revolution. It depicts horses from the Reds and the Whites crossing the Moscow River
Are we in the age of globalization or Americanization??? You decide.
I love this picture!
Stalin's Vodka- drink at your own risk of being purged!
I never would have thought that this city would have such beutiful parks
A really cool modern park, just a little different from the green natural one seen above

Street food- my favorite! These little stands are all over the place. They sell shashlik, shwarmas and whole roasted chickens (as shown below). In fact, I'm going to go eat one right now!

The industrial side of town- East Moscow

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home